[lit-ideas] Re: testing waters

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 19:34:34 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/2009 6:23:28 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx writes:
cann we stroll these  lakes?

Sure!

"At the base of the gills there is usually
a water-testing smelling organ
(called the osphradium)."

        THOMSON, Biology, 1934.

‘If you're attempting to establish a motive’
‘I'm just testing the water,’ Meredith said.
          D. Ramsay,  Little Murder Music, 1972, p. 62

"The dump site is marked only by
the pipe heads of
water test wells
and
a portable toilet booth."

         Chicago Tribune, 29 Jan.  1993.

stroll:
Of uncertain origin.
Perh. this verb and the related STROLL n.  (which in our quots. appear
early in the 17th c.) may be among the High German  words introduced about that
time by soldiers: cf. G. strolch vagabond,  strolchen, strollen (18th c.) to
wander as a vagrant.]

------

Of of my most beloved songs of all times -- so magical to play on the
piano, and Reader, CBE meant his _dog_!

Every night I go out strollin'

And I know my luck is rollin'.

When I'm strollin' with the one I love
_www.theatremusicshop.com/dlg/cart/lyrics/flandersandswann414.doc_
(http://www.theatremusicshop.com/dlg/cart/lyrics/flandersandswann414.doc)   -

(Excellent version by Roy Hudd, President of the British Music-Hall
Society, as he incorporated it in the musical "Underneath the Arches" with Allen
playing Allen...

J. L. Speranza
  Buenos Aires, Argentina
(http://www.whereitsat.com/?ncid=emlwenew00000004)