[lit-ideas] Re: terror & elections

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 00:32:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Torgeir asks...
>
> > > If Bush wins, it will be a huge victory for al
> Qaeda. They will be
> > > dancing on the roof of their caves.
> >
> > c'mon andreas, "the roof of their CAVES"!? dancing
> on the ceiling,
> > perhaps?
>
> Don't they show Yogi Bear cartoons in Finland?

Seldom. Don't know about Norway where Torgeir lives.

> Is Finland unamerican?

One has to wonder. On the one hand, op-eds decrying
our reflexsive anti-American character are a weekly
occurance. On the other, about 90% percent of
population speaks decent English, thousands of kids go
to US as exchange students, Donald Duck comic weekly
has a circulation of 300,000, which as a percentage of
population (5 mil) in considerably more than any print
publication in USA, about 30% of TV programs are
American, etc. and generally speaking the whole
country is considered overly anglophone by our fellow
(Central) Europeans. This leads to two possible
conclusions, either Finns are anti-American because
and not despite of being relatively familar with USA,
or that anti-American has become a convenient slur to
throw at political opponents. I'll opt for latter,
which btw is just like in 'States.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland