[lit-ideas] Re: tense

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 14:37:14 +0000

& ani drops out a lot

From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Steve Cameron
Sent: 03 March 2015 15:45
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: tense

**For your number three below: those are all expressed in the present perfect
tense:  Hebrew merely uses the present simple:

a. "I am thinking" = ani choshave - אני חושב
b. "I am alive" = ani chai - אני חי
c. "I am tired" = ani ayafe - אני עייף [or, alternately, similar to German
construction: "ayafe li" - עייף לי ("tired is to me")]

TC,

/Steve

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 3:47 AM, Donal McEvoy
<donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>I thought that I already pointed out that Hebrew does not have the present
>tense of 'to be,' hence it cannot express  I AM THAT I AM.>

1. Does this hold for "I AM WHAT I AM" ("I AM THAT I AM" not being a gay
anthem, nor ever likely to be)?

2. In addressing 1., is it of any relevance that pre-Newtonian philosophy (and
"natural theology" as a response to the rise of modern science) did not pretend
to arguments as to what God was only that God was [e.g. the First Cause or
"cosmological argument" concerned proof only that there is God not what kind of
God there is; post-Newton this argument took a different bent, via "natural
theology", of trying to address what kind of God there is compatible with
modern science - but this 'compatibility' was not an issue for Aquinas or
Anselm or Aristotle or even any of the Bs or Cs].

3. What in Hebrew does one do when in English one wants to say "I am thinking",
"I am alive", "I am tired" etc.? What does Hebrew do where other languages use
a present tense of 'to be'?

4. Perhaps 3. should be addressed first.

Dnl

On Monday, 2 March 2015, 8:37, Adriano Palma
<Palma@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

B’seder (aside from the relatively highly marked distance between Hebrew
=everyday or even classical in Agnon etc. – and the torahic Hebrew which is a
bit of a difficult …. Spiel)

best