[lit-ideas] Re: stupid stupid stupid news

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:38:13 -0500

Let me ask you a question Andy, do you stick you nose into groups of people who are playfully ribbing each other? Do you lecture them about being 'mean'?

Frankly, Paul, you could have made your point more effectively without calling Irene a "dickhead," and she would have heard you more clearly. My blood pressure went up when I saw your string of obscenities. If Irene didn't understand how close Erin and Mike are to each other, she's not the only one. I didn't either.

Erin has fooled a lot of us into thinking she was older than she is. (She's only a girl still in college, not even a graduate student going for her Ph.D. as many thought she was. She's interacting with 40 - 70 year-olds as if she were our equals intellectually and experientially.) But reading her "Good riddance" speech to Irene, I realized she's younger than she seems -- acting like she's important and Irene isn't, as if she's part of the in-group and Irene isn't. This is junior high school behavior, not even college student behavior.

The disrespectful way you two have spoken to Irene isn't warranted, even if she isn't as perceptive as you thought she should be. I thought the rules on this listserv were no ad hominem attacks. Stick to the issues, would you please? Let's pass on the character assassination.

I'm kinda surprised Andreas hasn't intervened here.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stone" <pas@xxxxxxxx>