[lit-ideas] still more on Bush & Chirac

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:10:32 +0100

Oddly, Eric fails to address my rather detailed refutation of his claim
that somehow Chirac and/or the UN's financial finagling had "set the
stage" for the US invasion of Iraq. I guess he must have forgotten.
        The single fact that renders all Eric's considerations is, of course,
that the US invasion was not about Sadaam, not about any real or
alleged misdeeds on his part, and certainly not about Sadaam's
(non-existent) ties to al-Qaeda and/or his (non-existent) WMD's. It was
about the fact that Bush had decided to invade Iraq for his own private
benefit, well before 9/11. The "grounds" for the invasion were invented
later, by browbeating the US Intelligence services until they found
something vaguely resembling evidence, evidence which was then doctored
by the Roves and Wolfowitzes in the Bush camp until it bore only the
slightest resemblance to actual fact.

        Here's yet another piece that confirms this view :
http://www.gnn.tv/articles/article.php?id=761

Two years before 9/11, candidate Bush was already talking privately
about attacking Iraq, according to his former ghost writer

Houston: Two years before the September 11 attacks, presidential
candidate George W. Bush was already talking privately about the
political benefits of attacking Iraq, according to his former ghost
writer, who held many conversations with then-Texas Governor Bush in
preparation for a planned autobiography.

  ?He was thinking about invading Iraq in 1999,? said author and
journalist Mickey Herskowitz. ?It was on his mind. He said to me: ?One
of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a
commander-in-chief.? And he said, ?My father had all this political
capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted
it.? He said, ?If I have a chance to invade?.if I had that much
capital, I?m not going to waste it. I?m going to get everything passed
that I want to get passed and I?m going to have a successful
presidency.?

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76