[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of movies

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:18:08 -0800

Marlene asked: "Has anyone seen the movie Syriana?"

I saw it a couple of days ago. It's about big bad US oil interests in Iran vs
Chinese and other global bidders on Iranian oil, and about something to do with
Matt Damon's character's family tragedy, and about something or other that a
veteran CIA guy, played by G. Clooney, is or isn't supposed to be doing in Iran
to save or perhaps dismantle American policy there. Or maybe he's trying to
save a would-be emir who's maybe out to topple his country's new government.
But then the movie would be about sibling rivalry, which is about as good a
guess as anything else. I didn't hate it, in case you're wondering, but then I
have an unusually high tolerance for ambiguity and confusion.
ciao,
Carol K.,
back in Fresnoland