[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:50:35 +0100

Eac> If they really wanted to help with their families back
Eac> home, financially,  perhaps working in their own system to change
Eac> it might be of even greater  benefit than to the few they help by
Eac> sending home their wages..

The history of emigration from Southern Italy to the US and from (to
take a case I know even better) Wales to England suggests not.
(Admittedly of course the Welsh took their nuclear family with them,
or were able to return, marry, return to England with their spouse.)

("?", you say.  Wales is a poor country, people left it to get jobs.)

Sorry. Why does it suggest not?  Because the problems in Southern
Italy appeared, then, fairly intractable.

I add that I am a "free immigrationist" and don't see why people
should even be encouraged to stay in their own country, work down the
mines in Wales, starve in Italy. And while the UK has never held out a
promise to immigrants, really -- except when Enoch Powell did.. --
the US has:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx