[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:13:55 -0400

Mike: I can't wait until they curse us for sponging off their system and not even speaking the language.

Eric: Don't know about you, but I would learn Spanish if I had to work in Mexico. Not only would it show gratitude to Mexican society for taking me in (and Mexicans speak a particularly pure form of Spanish), it would also improve my own living prospects.

By the way, people might enjoy Richard Powers' _The Time of Our Singing_, a family saga that deals with race in America. In some ways, it's a typical Richard Powers novel, informed by intellectual debate, but it has more than Powers' usual share of heart.