[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 21:05:20 -0400

Earth

> Sunday, August 7, 2005, 9:25:02 PM, Andy Amago wrote:
>

> AA> What I personally find annoying is when Hispanics who are here
illegally
> AA> get into a car accident and then sue the person they got into the
accident
> AA> with.  Or take a job with a false SS number or no SS number and sue
for
> AA> injuries they sustain.  Where do they get the nerve?  They're here
> AA> illegally, driving without a license, working without permission,
making
> AA> demands.  They ignore the law, set themselves above it, then want
> AA> protection from that very law.
>
> that's one of the problems of civil rights: one of the men now
> charged with conspiracy to murder called out to the police: "I have
> rights".  You know something? He has rights.

Of course he has rights, but so does society.  You're saying that if
someone sneaks into a movie theatre they should demand their rights to stay
and watch the movie?  Encouraging people to be above the law does no one
any service.

> AA>  Also, one of the reasons immigration is
> AA> restricted by any country is to keep diseases out.  These immigrants
just
> AA> walk in, carrying their diseases with them.
>
> We here began restricting immigration because a politician who'd
> brought black people here to do jobs white people wouldn't do then
> turned on them, spouted racist filth, whipped people up by lies.

Can you explain please?  How does a politician bring black people somewhere
to do jobs white people won't do?  Did he bring them in a bus, a boat?
Pick them up hitchhiking?  If so, from where?  Did he advertise in a
newspaper perhaps?   And having brought them in, how does he then go about
spouting racist filth and whipping up people with lies?  Does he use a
bullhorn, a blog, a radio?  Please elaborate.

> (We, too, have immigrants who bring with them the illnesses of their
> poverty-stricken countries and unfortunately, the poor housing they
> receive here and increasing social inequality here exacerbates that.)
>

> AA>  Sounds racist, doesn't it, to
> AA> demand that people come into this country legally the way any other
> AA> immigrants did and many still do.
>

> Anti-immigration talk usually is racist, it isn't about white
> immigrants who speak fluent English, whether they're in the US legally
> or not.

Last I looked, George Bush was pretty white and speaks English too.  He
doesn't get special treatment from me. Ditto for God, who's also a white
man one third the time.  Canadians aren't streaming into the country
illegally by the millions, if that's what you're referring to, so I can't
complain about them.  Who specifically are you referring to?  Also, what do
you have against people doing things legally?