[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:03:23 -0400

 Hi,
Hey!!  <g>   Why is MY culture evil and someone able to state that its only
values greed and power??  I grew up with parents who valued family, giving,
sharing, caring.  I have Befores who have talked at length on such matters--I
keep thinking I need to write my grandmother's tale of travels in the Middle
East during the early 1920s...and her Befores were in Pennsylvania and Ohio for
a long long time...and worked on the Underground Railroad (we used to go to the
basement when we visited to look at where they used to hide Runaways...)
There is a strength and a goodness in much of the European Cultures--not just
the 'greed and power' aspects!  Please--these sweeping generalizations towards
MY Befores are pretty much as mean as the sweeping generalizations of the
Befores who came from Latin America, countries in Asia, etc.

Perhaps we need to do some cultural education of those of us who had folk who
came from afar--from the European world and not just the cultural festivals of
Everyone Else!

I don't mind fingerpointing--I deal lots of times with critical folk towards
myself, my beliefs, my worldview.  I examine all the criticism and if there is
even one piece of information which I can use to become a better person, then
the conversation was not completely stupid or in vain.

Please, though!  Please recognize that a good part of who I am, of much of the
'good' from those from my backgounds and worlds--all of the caring and sharing
and the healthy world citizen type comes from those who had Befores who came
from Europe...

Is it truly that all other cultures are 'okay' and wonderful and have no
problems with people in them dealing with greed and power?  All other cultures
are sweet and dear and caring?

I wonder, if diversity is so great, than why is it that MY befores are so hated
and looked at so horribly that only the 'bad' is looked at and none of the
'good'?

Thinking of the multicultural fest planning committee that I'm on, the American
Cultures merit badge workshop that I'm planning, and feeling rather wounded
within my cultural soul,
Marlena (trying to be a world citizen but sad if that means having to hate her
own Befores...)

RE:
 this evil white European English speaking culture, it's bloody murder, its
only values are greed and power. Etc., etc., etc.