[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:19:14 -0400

Surely a hospital can have on hand a Spanish translator since a large minority of Americans speak Spanish only.

_____

Sorry for cluttering everyone's inbox with all these posts. Just want to make the point here that most doctors in large US hospitals have to possess at least a working knowledge of Spanish.

My friend was on call in ER with (Asian) Indian doctors doing residency for certification. The Indians had no Spanish and kept bugging my friend to translate for them. Hence the linguistic intervention with the unruly Spanish-only patient.

Now I'll shut up and save everyone's bandwidth.

Eric