[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:47:51 -0400

still, the fact that one doesn't speak English is not anyone's business but that of the individual.

---

You should take a tour of New York City's lovely Bronx. Our "Little Colombia" alone has hundreds of thousands who cannot read English.

That's not anyone's business but the individual's? It is to laugh. I don't know whether your view is motivated by a desire to see America's slight cultural cohesion destroyed, by a willful disregard of concrete realities, or something else. I mean really, Mike, what's up with this? It's not like you to be arguing, in sync with the political whores pandering for votes, to create a Tower of Babel that will guarantee a future Banana Republic of America.

As for "the vast majority of people who are locked out of the privileged life are lovely white speakers of English -- yourself for instance, " that's largely not true either. I chose my career path, in the past turning down (for personal reasons) regular jobs with: NBC News in Washington, the Late Night with David Letterman Show, MTV, TBWA Chiat-Day agency, and others. I made choices, which may turn out to be poor choices or not--because I had choices.

The people who take the trash out of my building do not speak English. Nor do most of the food deliverers on bikes at 10 PM. They have far fewer choices.