[lit-ideas] Re: sorry about the lack of a subject line Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:41:16 -0500

Judy: Yet nobody goes rampaging around yelling "paedophile" about
all of that.

No one rapages (too strong a word?) about that exactly for the reasons you
state.  Namely, that it was in the Middle Ages and those practices have now
been superceded by secular laws.  We can hardly undo those practices but we
can and want to protect young children now.  There is an overwhelming
consensus about this in Western countries.

Regarding taking girls back to the home country for marriage and
circumcision, the Canadian government was discussing arresting any parent
whose child turns up at a health clinic and the parents are then seen to
have violated Canadian law.  I don't know if it passed.  Perhaps our
Canadian friends know.  But a way around it is to go to Muslim doctors.  And
doctors in the US were discussing doing "partial circumcision" to accomodate
Muslim parents.  That was overwhelmingly rejected by the public.

I highly recommend that people on this list see a film called, "Osama."  It
is the "name" of a ten year old girl.  The film explains why.  It was made
by an Iranian film maker in Afghanistan.

Re Muslim marriages, one of my friends married her husband in a mosque with
the imam officiating.  The state of MI knew nothing about it.  No state
required license was applied for.  But when she wanted a divorce, she could
only get it if the husband consented.  This person, my friend, was born here
and she was in her sixties.
My other friends, a married couple, took their daughter to Syria to marry
her cousin.  But that was OK because she was in her 20s.  The point of this
is to keep permanent connection to family in the Middle East.

As concerns the issue of giving a 7-9 year old girl to a grown man on his word that there would be no consumation until 14-15, I would like to see the Western parent that would do that today. To say nothing of the fact that it would be considered child abuse.

Veronica Caley

MIlford, MI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: (no subject)
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, 23 January, 2011, 12:29
I forgot

I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A Muslim."

 Among the things I learned: that people who call the
prophet
a pedophile do so because he married
a nine year old girl,

Yes. I don't know how common that was in the
sixth/seventh centuries, I did finally remember there were
child marriages (marriages of children aged 7 to 12/14 -- in
England in the Middle Ages, and, presumably, before that
too. (7 because the church refused to recognize/allow
marriages below the age of 7 except where interests of state
were involved). We have no idea how widespread the
practice was, as records are faulty.

Yet nobody goes rampaging around yelling "pedophile" about
all of that.

(I add that pedophilia was not necessarily involved in
dynastic child marriage or indeed in non-dynastic arranged
marriages.)

Currently, there is a concern in Western countries that
some Muslims are taking daughters to the home country for
circumcision and early marriage. I have read about
this issue being of concern in the U.S. and Canada
<<<<<<<<<<<<

this puzzled me slightly - the early marriage part, that
is. I'd have thought the US and Canada would, like the
UK, recognize only legally contracted marriages. The
main relevant "home countries" have minimum marriage ages
similar to ours. Saudi Arabia has no minimum marriage
age but then, I take it a Saudi child marriage contracted
there would not be accepted here. (The Yemen also I
think must have no minimum age.)

To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub,
vacation on/off,