[lit-ideas] Re: something illegal for free

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 10:52:36 -0400

Hi,
I think Carol could field this question...(We already know of the theory that
it is all the fault of the parenting we recieved...)  What other theories are
there?

lack of a vision?
not knowing anything about the rest of the world--or even who is where in it
and why that might matter?
no hope for a better life?
a lack of awareness of how to enjoy the simple pleasures of life?  (How many,
like Lawrence, are able to go take a walk in even a park these days?)
the rise of two parents working so that kids are (basically) trapped all day,
often alone because there is no financial or physical access to quality
after-school programs?  (quite a bit of research to support this theory is what
is happening in LibraryLand's research world...some listed in the research
section of the grants I am reading right now where school libraries are wanting
to extend their hours [research shows it would also help with raising literacy
levels] and in public libraries trying to figure out the transportation issues
that keep kids from being able to come to programs created to address this
issue...)
what other possibilities are creating such a fundamental problem?  (Are they
the same that have been suggested in regards to how the lack of hope for a
quality future has created the terrorist world? Is it that Americans have
decided to direct that despair inward rather than outward?  If so, why and is
that any healthier to the world than blasting outward to try to either make
change or to express frustration?)

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

RE:

The main problem, seems to me, is not the access to drugs. It's the desire and
need. Someone should ask why so many Americans want and need to sleepwalk
through their lives. Ursula