[lit-ideas] Re: somebody's not too happy ...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 15:32:29 EST

I've read about the opera for a few days now.

An opera showing severed heads??  Must be a first.

I'll be sure to tell my sis-in-law who is a opera soprano in NY so she can
get in on the fun.

Apparently the guy in question viewed Viet Nam films too often.

Julie Krueger
repelled

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] somebody's not too
happy ...  Date: 11/5/2006 2:17:15 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Priest burns himself to death over  Islam
From David Crossland in Berlin

A retired priest committed  suicide by setting himself on
fire in a German monastery in protest at the  spread of Islam
and the Protestant Church’s inability to contain  it.

Roland Weisselberg, 73, poured a can of petrol over his head
and  set light to himself in the grounds of the Augustine
monastery in the  eastern city of Erfurt, where Martin Luther
spent six years as a monk at the  beginning of the 16th century.

Witnesses said that Weisselberg climbed  into a building site
next to the monastery church, where a Reformation Day
service was being held. He shouted “Jesus and Oskar” before
the flames  engulfed him. The latter name was an apparent
reference to Oskar Brüsewitz,  a priest who burnt himself in
1976 in protest against the Communist regime  in East
Germany. Monastery staff tried to put out the flames and
Weisselberg was still conscious as a nun prayed with him
before he was  taken to hospital. He died a day later, on
Wednesday.

Media reports  said that he had tried to kill himself inside
the church but changed his  mind when he found the side door
was locked.

The Provost of Erfurt,  Elfriede Begrich, told reporters that
Weisselberg’s widow had said that he  killed himself because
he was alarmed at the spread of Islam and the  Church’s
stance on the issue.

She described Weisselberg as an erudite  man who had
addressed repeatedly the Church’s position on Islam in
meetings over the past three to four years. He had written
to her,  urging her to take the matter more seriously, she said.

The Protestant  Bishop of Saxony, Axel Noack, said the
suicide had shocked the community and  that he hoped it would
not hurt relations between Christians and  Muslims.

“We in the East are still among ourselves when we discuss
Islam,” said Bishop Noack, adding that there were not many
Muslims in  the area.

Relations with Muslims have been a matter of intense debate
in Germany in recent months, stoked by the cancellation of a
Mozart  opera in Berlin amid fears that it could provoke
Muslim violence, and a  speech by the Pope in September in
which he quoted from a medieval text  linking the spread of
the Islamic faith to violence.

The Berlin  Deutsche Oper has said that it will stage the
opera, which has a scene  showing the severed heads of the
Prophet Muhammad, Jesus and  Buddha.