[lit-ideas] Re: some polls

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:39:33 -0600

So for anyone keeping score, the family intimacy standings
look like this: dog 94%; mom 87%; cat 84%; dad 74%.

Hmmm. I've always thought of all beings (outside myself) as pets. My wife was a pet, my children, my grandchildren, my siblings, my parents, my co-workers, all, all pets. My dearest friends, even God Himself, I've never thought of any of them except as pets. All are here to amuse me. In return I pay attention to them in accordance with my mood, after all, I'm just their pet. I know that. I'm no fool. I'll open the door for you, sure, but you only have to the count to three to take advantage of it. I'm not going to stand there all day while you ruminate the complex existential decisions of your world that are beyond the scope of my intuitions or caring. So, as you can well imagine, my intimacy ratings are very fluid, volatile even. It's a mutual accomodation society as I see it.

Actually, rocks are the best pets (as someone figured out a few years back). So stable in their behavior, so constant in their fidelity, and so wonderfully, wonderfully, wonderfully unneedy. For untold years they're content to just sit there and 'be' for you. I guess I feel closest to rocks.

Mike Geary,
grateful for all my pets,
Memphis