[lit-ideas] Re: smartboards ?

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 09:46:53 -0500

I'm a little surprised at these replies because I've been given to
understand by my grown daughters (19 & 21) that chalkboards and white
boards have not been used in some time, that chalk is a thing of the past
and difficult to find for purchase here in the city, and that "everyone,
Mom (rolling of eyes) uses smartboards".  They're apparently ubiquitous in
public school class rooms -- interesting.  They can't fund teaching of
grammar, literacy, or science, but they can afford smartboards.  Frankly,
sometimes I think such techi moves serve as a soothing feeling to cover the
uncomfortable fact that they really aren't doing anything to improve
education -- how can they?  The current crop of adult teachers weren't
educated in their public school experience.  (Climbing down off my soap box
now, at least for a minute).

My daughters can't help with using the smartboards because they didn't
actively use them - only watched while the teachers did.

 What I urgently need to know about Smartboards is if they interface with
files across OS's, if files on my laptop can be pulled up on them.  I am
using a text which I don't want the students to have to purchase because
the use is spotty, and I want to scan a few pages that have color
illustrations and throw them up on the smartboard -- color copies of such
pages would cost me an arm & a leg and I don't really want to have to go
through that much color ink.  The smartboard seemed the optimal solution,
IF it'll do it -- I'm walking in to the classroom on Tuesday and trying to
pull my act together at the last minute, only just having gotten a class
roster and room assignment this week.

Julie Campbell
Julie's Music & Language Studio
1215 W. Worley