[lit-ideas] slice of life

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:26:33 EST

When your daughter is in transit to your house with your folks, the
cell-phone call you do NOT want to hear is "Mom, the van is on fire"
accompanied  with
the wail of sirens in the background.  Talk about  heart-stopping.  They
pulled in to a gas station (for the love of Mike),  and were followed in by the
car behind them who noticed the rolling smoke  emerging from the engine, and
happened to be a firefighter on his way to a gym  work-out.  My daughter
reports
that he was "hot".  Dad was lifting the  hood (not a good idea) and Mom
leaning toward the engine to see.  Flames  predictably shot up.  Daughter saw
what
they were too close to, that there  was thick liquid dripping underneath the
van and sparks dropping into it.   Having watched way too many crime scene TV
shows, she recognized this was not a  good sign, and screamed at them to get
the
hell away from it.  The gas  station people were understandably nervous and
when I arrived there were two  large fire engines parked next to the
smouldering vehicle.   Miraculously,  in case you're wondering, no one was
hurt.  I took
Mom  home where she got in her other car and went to her oncologist for the
results  of her latest CT scan.  I want to know just what this family did to
God.  On the other hand .....no one was hurt. The van was just "fixed"  by a
repair shop yesterday.  I'm encouraging a suit.

Julie Krueger