[lit-ideas] Re: separate universes

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 05:56:31 EDT

<<Mike Geary  being diplomatic

Oh please -- don't hold back.....tell us how you really  feel......>>

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: separate
universes  Date: 9/3/05 2:32:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A.A.
>> Well, I don't agree.   Without Geraldo all we'd have  is Bush's version. <<

Well, I don't agree.  With Geraldo we have Bush's version plus a  phony
sentimentalism that not only doesn't challenge Republican laissez-faire
economics
but plays into it's hands, distracting the people from failed policies  with
easy emotionalism.

>> Why is reporting on horror automatically called  schlock?

It isn't.  It's how it's reported on that makes it schlock. A  reporter
crying while giving his report should clue you in  that something other than
reportage is happening here.

>> And I don't care if Geraldo is the best actor in the world  shedding the
biggest crocodile tears in the world, the situation he was in  called for
tears.<<

No, it didn't, goddamnit.  It called for dispassionate,  investigative
reporting.  What he does is cheap and easy and destructive to  the very nature
of
the press.  The press was once a bulwark against the  rich and powerful --
well,
OK,  it's a spotted history at best,  granted -- but that's how it should be
and now it's practically become the  primary tool or the r & p.  Geraldo and
his kind cry over those  who suffer, but never dare challenge the power
structure as to why they're  suffering.  I assume you know why.

>> Many people interviewed, black and while, cried.  It's  an extreme
situation.<<

Yes, it is an extreme situation, but not for Geraldo.  Once this
assignment's over with, he's off again to his multi-million dollar life --  as
if he'd
ever left it.  Even if Geraldo is genuinely overcome with so  much emotion that
he can't help but cry,  well, shouldn't any editor worth  his salt would edit
that out .  Else it's a story about Geraldo and  his sorrows, not the problems
of the victims or the proposed solutions that the  citizenry need to know.
Fuck Geraldo.  Fuck all those smalled-souled  shits making hundreds of millions
off the suffering and sorrw of those  abject people.  Geraldo and his ilk
will reap windfall profits  from this thing, trust me.  I despise and revile
them
all.

Mike Geary
being diplomatic