[lit-ideas] sci-fi question & reality shows

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:51:31 EST

Help!  I am trying to recapture something I read from the lost years of jr.
high.  I was on a sci-fi rampage and I devoured so much it all kind of blurs
together.  What I'm looking for was, I think, a short story and the feeling of
it smacks of Clarke, though I can't be sure even of that.  The scenario was a
future in which genetic engineering made possible very well defined class
systems -- an elite intelligentsia, a work-force class.  The focal point of the
story was a girl who was a genetic fluke, born into a working-class (farming, I
think) family who was attractive and intelligent and didn't want to adhere to
her place.  The solution was to have her sent to a "center" of some sort where
she was remade physiologically (less attractive, stronger & sturdier for farm
work), and reprogrammed psychologically to fit her given place in society,
altering her personality significantly and erasing her memory.  Does this ring
any bells with anyone??  My distant memory may have warped it out of all
recognition.   (I keep thinking of it when the kids are flipping channels and
"extreme makeover" comes on.  Does anyone else have a violently negative
reaction to
that show or is everyone pleased that these people can get this wonderful
chance at a new life?  Does anyone else think the whole notion of a "reality
show"
is revolting to begin with?)
Julie Krueger