[lit-ideas] say's law

  • From: Gregory {Greg} Downing <gd2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Gregory {Greg} Downing <gd2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 16:30:02 -0500 (EST)

Let's see. I s*bscribe to about 30 mainly academic email lists. So far,
since midnight my time (16 hours ago, barely over half a day), I have gotten
just about 100 list postings. Only three per list, right? Pretty good, right?

Well, over 50 of them -- more than half -- come from the two descendants of
the old Phil-Lit list. 27 of the last 34 posts into my inbox, during a 3-1/2
hour period, are from these two lists. And the 50+ posts have come from the
outboxes of about 16 people. (No, I refuse to double-check my count to make
sure it's *exact*.) That means an average of over three posts per active
poster during the last 16 hours. For every poster of the 16 who has posted
only once, another poster from the active group has posted an average of
five times in the last 16 hours.

None of the posts has discussed anything literary or philosophical or
arts-oriented in any direct and substantive way. 95-98% of the verbiage and
conceptual content are ideological cliches, with an admixture of phatic
gear-oiling. What's wrong with this picture? I understand the election was
hard on a lot of people, but honestly...

Greg Downing