[lit-ideas] Re: remebering 1906

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:54:38 -0800

Robert Paul is right.

It's been more than twenty years since I taught a history of medicine course in a medical school, so I checked my rather dusty history of medicine shelf for books that had good numbers on who died of what in 1906 or before. Though my collection is out of date, it's clear that historians of medicine were writing around this particular problem of data. Take, for example, L.J.Rather, "The Genesis of Cancer," which one might think would explain whether there is more cancer in the twentieth century than the nineteenth. The book is subtitled, "A Study in the History of Ideas," and is not about how many people suffered cancer but what people thought cancer was. Other studies write about social hierarchies among doctors, how hospitals were organized, clinical research...the sorts of thing that record reveal. What records don't reveal very well is who died of what.

My own Ph.D. thesis has things to say on the different ways in which shell-shock statistics were counted, reported, recorded.

I'll report three things that can be said on this subject of late nineteenth and early twentieth century mortality. John Woodward, "To Do the Sick No Harm," established that the view of nineteenth century hospitals as "gateways to death" was erroneous. His tables show that excluding periods of epidemic contagioun, in the second half of the nineteenth century British hospitals had mortality rates between three and twelve percent of admissions. Secondly, it's true that infant mortality plummeted with the advent of inoculations and improved sanitation. Finally, as Paul Starr reminds us in "The Social Transformation of American Medicine," it is unlikely that good statistics on mortality will be found for all of America: "America was the country where classical liberalism had most thoroughly shaped the relations between state and society. As of 1900, American government was highly decentralized, engaged in little direct regulation of the economy or social welfare, and had a small and unprofessional civil service...Congress had set up a system of compulsory hospital insurance for merchant seamen as far back as 1798 (following European precedents), but this was an altogether exceptional measure to deal with a group that was commercially and epidemiologically strategic because of its role in foreign commerce. Congress approved aid to mental hospitals in 1854, only to see the bill vetoed by President Pierce. It created a National Board of Health in 1879, but abolished it in 1883. In two stages in 1902 and 1912, it expanded the Marine Hospital Service into the U.S. Public Health Service but gave it few functions and little authority. The federal government continued to leave such matters to state and local government, and the general rule at those levels was to leave as much to private and voluntary action as possible." p.240

Thus it is unlikely that meaningful comparisons can or ought to be made between your chances of dying from this or that in say 1906 and today.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon