[lit-ideas] Re: reforming immigration

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:44:05 -0500

(I don't get your distinction between strategy and clear thinking.)

The best debates we have on Lit-Ideas can change opinions if we approach with an open mind. If one just says, "**** off I'm pro-immigration," then we can't have that kind of debate.

Everything should be on the table for a good debate. Granted that's the hardest thing to do, but it also has the greatest clarity. It's hard because one would have to start with, "I don't really know anything about this subject." And we all know too much sometimes.

For example, a Brazilian friend was telling me about the illegal immigration problem in Brazil. Who'd have thought they had one? Apparently Brazil's major cities are being inundated by illegal Bolivians and Peruvians. The Brazilians are very upset by the effect this is having, and it's starting to turn nasty and violent with vigilante attacks on the illegals.