[lit-ideas] Re: reforming immigration

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:29:32 +0100

EY> By
EY> definition, it cannot be clear thinking, since
EY> Krugman refuses to examine the basis of his
EY> convictions.

I disagree.  But perhaps Krugman should have been
dishonest and cut all of the words below before "we"

> If people like me are going to respond
effectively to anti-immigrant
 > demagogues, we have to acknowledge those facts.

I'm, like Krugmann, in theory inviolably biassed towards
immigration.  But rather than say "**** off I'm pro-immigration"
I acknowledge such facts as baying anti-immigrant
demagogues proffer and (attempt to) counter their fictions.
That's politics.

His bias is inviolate. In effect, it
> is no different than Karl Rove telling some flack,
> "This is how we are going to spin the Immigration
> issue." This is strategy, not clear thinking.

Oh yes it is different from spin.  Let's say someone here tells me
3 million Mexicans cross the border every day, rape half the women
in California, and live off welfare benefits denied to US citizens.  Let's
say I tell them what the actual facts are.  That's spin?  No.

(I don't get your distinction between strategy and clear thinking.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff