[lit-ideas] Re: re

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 07:46:54 +0000 (UTC)

I mean, you know, like I can't even say we don't know anything because that
would implicaturize that we at least know that, and that would give the lie to
my contention. >
No, Mike. This is fallacious.

Saying "We know nothing for sure" equals "We don't know anything (for sure)"
and these give no lie to themselves. We only state something that gives a lie
to itself if we state something like "We know for sure that we know nothing for
sure". But even this can be made unparadoxical by rephrasing it as "We know
only one thing for sure and that is that we know nothing apart from this one
thing for sure."
Popper's position is clear: we not only know nothing for sure (in the sense of
having infallilble knowledge, which is the sense at stake) but we do no know
this for sure but guess it. After the overturn of Newton's physics, for there
was no more successful and well-tested "knowledge" at that point, we needed to
accept we know nothing for sure. And the guess we know nothing for sure became
endorsed by Einstein when he explained why the physics he put forward could not
be entirely correct, which means it would be false. Popper also explains why
his guess is that we not only know nothing for sure but will never know
anything for sure - that is, we will never attain knowledge that we know for
sure is infallible (though of course many people are deluded that they have
attained such "knowledge").
All this lies in the field of the 'theory of knowledge' and is not undermined
by the delusions of "certain knowledge" that haunt many people. And it is not
undermined by Mike's fallacy.

Dnl

On Thursday, 28 May 2015, 4:16, Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

All this time and we still don't know anything for sure, do we?  Oh, well,
what the hell.  I mean, you know, like I can't even say we don't know anything
because that would implicaturize that we at least know that, and that would
give the lie to my contention.  I truly do hate philosophy.  Not knowing that
you don't know is preferable to knowing. So that's my new philosophy: One
cannot know that one cannot know unless one knows that.  Nihil Vobiscum.
John Michael Geary,
Pilgrim.
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I could actually think of a defense of a common sense from a negative side- if
someone were to point at an empty space and say: "I know that there is a tree
there" we would all, realists and skeptics, materialists and idealists, agree
that he is a lunatic. From that it would seem that we do accept empirical
evidence as being of some value. What we make of it later is a matter of
interpretation though.
O.K.
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did you consider that the socalled real may be fermions and bosons?
Frankly why give a fig about the common sense exhibited by some?