[lit-ideas] : rambling

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:15:30 +0200

** For Your Eyes Only **
** High Priority **
** Reply Requested by 11/9/2011 (Wednesday) **

Eric,
1 get well
2. I am of the view that there is no sense in "censoring" creationism,
while it seems to me rather more defensible that it is not a doctrine in
cosmology or biology, but something else. According to religious figures
it is a matter of faith (what that comes to we do not really know since
this term is built on a secreted meaning that is available to those who
have faith.)
3. while people sort out their differences (e.g. nothing special in
confucianism has to be creationist or anti-creationist, so I'm unclear
as to what even the religious camp claims), it would be iwser to let
cosmology be done in the "normal" mathematical way (the way it is done

best regards

>>> "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> 11/8/2011 9:14 PM >>>

>>there is nobody anywhere who is creationist. there are small pockets
of idiots nested in the anglo saxon countries (uk us canada, Oz, Nz,
Rsa) virtually no one to my knowledge has university positions in either
cosmology or biology. some of them have positions in religious schools.

John Stuart Mill’s _On Liberty_ comes to mind.

“Hence, even in revolutions of opinion, one part of the truth usually
sets while another rises. Even progress, which ought to superadd, for
the most part only substitutes, one partial and incomplete truth for
another; improvement consisting chiefly in this, that the new fragment
of truth is more wanted, more adapted to the needs of the time, than
that which it displaces. Such being the partial character of prevailing
opinions, even when resting on a true foundation, every opinion which
embodies somewhat of the portion of truth which the common opinion
omits, ought to be considered precious, with whatever amount of error
and confusion that truth may be blended. No sober judge of human affairs
will feel bound to be indignant because those who force on our notice
truths which we should otherwise have overlooked, overlook some of those
which we see. Rather, he will think that so long as popular truth is
one-sided, it is more desirable than otherwise that unpopular truth
should have one-sided asserters too; such being usually the most
energetic, and the most likely to compel reluctant attention to the
fragment of wisdom which they proclaim as if it were the whole.”

Please find our Email Disclaimer here: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/