[lit-ideas] Re: question on immigration

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:42:38 -0500

So you're saying they're here for political reasons?  Because they're being
religiously persecuted?  There are pograms against the Mexicans?  The
English effectively induced the potato famine in Ireland.  Someone is, for
political reasons, inducing famine among the Mexicans?  If so, why is their
own president supporting their emigration?  Did the Irish immigrants send
back enough money to Ireland to rival oil exports?  Mexican migrants are a
major source of income into Mexico.  Where is the comparison?  Where's the
Ellis Island on the Rio Grande?

Many years ago I met a, at the time, Soviet sailor who had jumped ship.  He
was here illegally.  The anxiety in this poor man.  Granted, the USSR had
different "standards", but even so, today to be here illegally is all but a
source of pride.  Robert, do you favor people living above the law?  If you
don't have a driver's license, no big deal, it's only the law.  If you need
a SS number and can't get one legally, no big deal, we'll get one for you.
Maybe laws don't matter.  Corporations are corrupt (for Carol: pharma was
the organized crime that pushed meth, see Frontline); Congress is corrupt;
and now ordinary people march for their right to be illegal.  Talk about
trickle down.  Mexico doesn't bother with laws.  It functions on bribery
and abductions and corruption.  Their own president supports exporting an
illegal population because it's good for his economy.  Being above the law
is so ingrained in third world populations generally that Mexicans march
for their right to be above the law.  Hey, maybe you're right.  Let them
not fix the problems in their own country.  Let them come here, make a few
bucks, and go back to what they know and vote for Fox. (who, btw, referred
to women as washing machines on two legs).  What's that expression?  We
have the government we deserve ...