[lit-ideas] Re: question on immigration

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:48:32 +0100

> and in particular their children not to starve to
> death, not to go unhoused, not to be deprived of
> medical treatment, while they remain, albeit
> illegally, in the US.

EY> So you would be okay with the illegals and their
> children being treated, fed, sheltered,
> soothed--whatever--and then immediately deported?

not necessarily.  Obviously you have to try to enforce your laws but
experience here (where admittedly we deal mainly with failed asylum-seekers)
shows that feeding people then throwing them on a plane home is not
necessarily the correct policy.

Otoh our policy has to cover rather more nationalities than yours and we
have a list of countries to which failed asylum-seekers may not be returned
given the possibility of their being tortured there.

Judy Evans, Cardiff