[lit-ideas] Re: question on immigration

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:01:29 -0800

> Carol: I'm talking about LEGAL immigration,

ck: Yeah, I was too. That's what I tried to do--immigrate legally to Canada
and then England. As I said, and as you reiterate, it's far from easy. I
didn't find a way. I do know one woman--an American poet named Lucy
Grealy--who emigrated to Britain through a deceased grandparent connection.
She was desperate for the health care. Documented this huge effort in her
book, "Autobiography of a Face." Nope, it ain't easy, and as lousy as people
say the National Health is, it's reason enough to give up the vaunted
liberties of the US.

Think we could get 500,000 people on the street in the US demonstrating in
favor of government-sponsored universal healthcare?

Carol