[lit-ideas] Re: p.s. Re: Re: Globalization

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:43:59 -0800

Julie wrote:

…………………………………………………………………………………………I'm curious now. Everyone but me, I
believe, on this list, is a full-fledged academician ... are any of these languages offered at your institutions? Which ones?

I think only Mike Geary is a full-fledged academician, but there may be one or two others. Reed (undergraduate college of ca. 1,300) offers Chinese language, literature, and history. See

http://academic.reed.edu/chinese/

Apparently we teach Mandarin. (Here's the course description for First Year Chinese.)

Chinese 110

Full course for one year. A beginner’s course in standard (Mandarin) modern spoken and written Chinese, aimed at building a solid foundation in all its aspects: pronunciation (especially the tones), syntax, and basic vocabulary. Attention is given to a balanced development of all the basic skills of the language: listening and reading comprehension, speaking, and writing. Pinyin is the romanization system used in this and all other Chinese language courses. Both the traditional and simplified characters are taught. Students are expected to read both and write one of the two versions. Lecture-conference.

Robert Paul
Reed College