[lit-ideas] Re: pronouncing philosophers

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:19:51 -0800 (PST)

Two syllabels, Tee-mu, stressing neither is
unnecessary as spoken Finnish isn't that fussy about
that, but if you must then the first syllable but in
"Teemu!" I'd stress the "mu".

The part that anglophones have trouble with is the
double vowel, ee in this case. Not e as in teen, but e
as in Tate or Kate, just stretch the vowel e a bit.
French would spell it té as in sauté. I can't think of
an English word where tee is pronounced the same way
although I've heard guarantee pronounced like that by
Brits. Mu as in ammunition and not as in Munich.

Would that Helsinki U guy by any chance be the same
namesake that did a suprisingly good thesis on
masturbation? Just wondering how it went down on over
here if he still at it.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland