[lit-ideas] principia

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:15:07 +0200

** Low Priority **
** Reply Requested by 4/10/2012 (Tuesday) **

to be explicit the philosophy (by Russell & Whitehead) holds that something
like 2+3=5 is reducible to a logical truth (that is a theorem, and a theorem to
be such needs a prove, and *that* is lots of work)

>>> Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> 09/04/2012 10:33 PM >>>
Adriano Palma wrote, re proving 2+2=4

> It is not a dissertation, it['s] PM By Whitehead & Russell

Omar had written

> I understand that someone once wrote a Ph.D. dissertation in mathematics
> to prove that 2+2=4 and that he managed to prove it at length. I don't
> know any details though.

What Russell and Whitehead took some thousand pages to prove was that
1+1=2. (There's a long story behind this though.)

Robert Paul

Please find our Email Disclaimer here: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/