[lit-ideas] practicalities, hoaxes and holidays

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:35:39 EST

Still working through logic issues, though with Christmas and the attendant
stress, er, I mean joy (could we outlaw this holiday, PLEASE?!) I will likely
save as new the mails on laws of logic to go through when I've recovered
from the relational dynamics of a family blended from two  semi-dysfunctional
systems.  God.  Norman Rockwell had to be on very  good drugs.  Hallucanigenic
sci-fi he painted.  On a more pragmatic  note.....has anyone heard of the
below?
 It sounds unlikely, and  yet....  A Mother of a daughter's friend forwarded
it to me.  I  have no idea if there's anything to it or not.

Julie Krueger

Subject: Phone Scam

>    PASS ON TO EVERYONE  YOU KNOW

>    I received a telephone  call last evening from an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T  Service technician who was conducting a test on telephone
lines. He stated  that to complete the test I should touch nine(9), zero(0),
the pound sign (#),  and then hang up.

>    Luckily, I was  suspicious and refused.

>    Upon contacting the  telephone company, I was informed that by pushing
90#, you give the requesting  individual full access to your telephone line,
which enables them to place  long distance calls billed to your home phone
number.

>    I was further informed  that this scam has been originating from many
local jails/prisons. I have also  verified this information with UCB
Telecom,Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic  and GTE. Please beware.

>    DO NOT press 90# for  ANYONE.

>    The GTE Security  Department requested that I share this information
with EVERYONE I KNOW.