[lit-ideas] Re: polling

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:07:50 EDT

<<First, the CNN/Gallup report  (electoral college votes) is based on a
survey, not a poll (but polls are  included)>>

Oh dear -- I'm probably going to be banished from the list for asking such  a
stupid question but what is the technical diff between a survey & a  poll?
To me the words always generally meant asking a bunch of people  their opinion
and making a tally.

<<Zogby International's polls are the ones whose method  differs from
others, in just one, possibly fairly crucial, respect. I can't  decide
whether they're more likely to be right than the others -- I'f say  if
the apparently very small % of undecided voters we've been cited  from
the beginning masks reasonably large shifts (and I'd now say it  does)
they could be.>>

Can you explain what that "possibly fairly crucial respect" is?

Thank you for such good, clear information Judy.

Julie Krueger