[lit-ideas] Re: persons & humans

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:46:29 EST

I'm curious, Mirembe -- what languages do you speak?  Arabic and  English,
for sure.  Others?  Forgive me for prying.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] persons & humans
Date: 3/27/05 2:26:47 A.M. Central Standard Time  From: _nantongo@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:nantongo@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Robert wrote:

> Wasn't the same true in  Britain (and for all I know, Boston) until not
> too long ago. 'Madame,  there is a _person_ here to see you,' i.e.,
> someone from the lower  orders.

And/or someone you'd rather not be around. E.g. Coleridge's  "person
from Porlock" and what about in French, eg: "Guard! Cet  individu
m'importune. Remove him from my orbit, if you please."

>'A  characteristic remark that Wittgenstein would make when referring  to
>someone who was notably generous or kind was "He is a  _human
>being_!"â??thus implying that most people fail even to be  human.'

>â??Norman Malcom, Ludwig Wittgenstein: a Memoir, p.  61

Arabic does that  too.

MN