[lit-ideas] Re: ouisia essentia

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 13:40:01 +0200

Why would you go to a doctor to ask if you have arthritis ? You are the one
who is privy to your physical symptoms, not the doctor. Presumably you
think that his conceptualization of arthritis is more accurate and reliable
than yours. " Do I have arthritis ? " can be parsed as: "Is the established
concept of arthritis applicable to these symptoms I am having ?" And we
don't go: "Well, my friends and me, none of whom have any medical
education, use the word 'arthritis' in this way, so that is what it is."

"Hearsay", I grant, may not exactly be the term to apply to someone who has
read professional literature about it, etc., even if they are not
themselves a professional.

O.K.