[lit-ideas] Re: ordnance

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:56:54 +0100

>*'Wittgensteinians' are fictions, made up by those who really don't want
to talk about Wittgenstein—and that because they can't be troubled to
actually read him. >

They are less fictions than Popperians: but I would agree that in both cases
the best starting point is reading Wittgenstein or Popper rather than
commentary - not least because they both write much better than (most of) their
commentators.

But there is problem with Wittgenstein given the saying-showing dichotomy that
runs through his work: for who but someone alerted to this dichotomy would
realise that when the Tractatus begins "The world is all that is the case" it
may be added parenthetically "(though these words show the truth rather than
say something with sense)" or that this parenthetical may be appended
throughout the Tractatus? Likewise, the saying-showing dichotomy, which I
suggest continues in Investigations, means a reader can often understand the
words used but struggle to see Wittgenstein's point - because what W seeks to
show by what he says is not said by what he says.

Dnl~ldn

On Tuesday, 17 June 2014, 16:53, palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

in fact the films stars george clooney as freeman...

​palma writes

--

palma,  e TheKwini, KZN

palma