[lit-ideas] Re: or your files: Investigations text [English only]

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:07:03 -0800 (PST)

Yes, but perhaps W. was translating it 'from' English in his head as he wrote.
:)

While we are at it, I can't resist this quote (I don't want to get into
anything either):

Authentic / fake. Whoever writes hermetic texts like Heidegger's Sein und Zeit
perpetrates a philosophical imposture. He incurs the same sin as someone who,
writing clearly, tackles pseudoproblems or digresses without contributing
anything new, as is the case with Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations.

http://www.ditext.com/bunge/crisis.html

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:02 PM, Donal McEvoy
<donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>However, it has only the English text.>

Given Wittgenstein wrote in German, not English, it might be more accurate to
say it has only the text in English (translation). [We wouldn't say of a
translation of "Being and Nothingness" into English, that the book "has only
the English text"].

Everyone who already knows that the English text is a translation, and not a
translation by Wittgenstein either, would not be misled. But that is not
everyone.

Dnl
An casagdh an t' sugain

On Wednesday, 12 February 2014, 19:52, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wrote

There's a new online site with the complete text of Philosophical
Investigations. It's a copy of what's usually called the third edition, which
means
it's the second edition with an index. Very clear; obviously 'copied'
straight from the original.

However, it has only the English text.

RP