[lit-ideas] opening mail

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 21:43:02 EDT

So there I am, innocently opening my post office box, rifling through mail,
throwing away 50 envelopes of junk and keeping three, and I come to a large
white envelope addressed to my husband, personally.  "Mr. James Krueger".
From,
no less, www.GeorgeWBush.com.  I wonder suddenly if my husband is a closet
republican.  If he has joined some treacherous group I am unaware of.  It is
stamped with blood red large capital letters warning:  "Do not bend!
Presidential photo enclosed".  It was too much for my curiosity.  I mean,
really.  Inside
I find a generous offer to contribute to the Bush/Cheney campaign and ......
an 8 1/2 x 11 colour photo of the Pres himself and First Lady all in white and
below....be still my beating heart....in graceful script:  "To:  James H.
Kruger, Thank you for your early commitment and dedication as a Charter Member
of
the campaign in Missouri.  Grassroots leaders like you are the key to
building a winning team.  Best Wishes," and the signatures in royal blue ink of
Laura
Bush and GwB.  I entered my home telling my husband that, darling, I have
such a wonderful surprise.  He was understandably shocked.  He didn't know he
was
a Charter Member of the GWB campaign in Missouri.  He swears to me he has not
broken a sacred trust of our marriage and turned right-wing.  He notes that
obviously they don't have his voting record on file.  I'm not sure whether to
return the photo with a personal note, allow my children to play with it, or
frame it.  So whaddya think it cost Dubbya to xerox and mail one of these to
every registered voter in America?  And whaddya think the returns will be?  How
many undecided voters will open theirs, and honk noisily, "Hey Marta -- looka
this -- he *does* care about us, hell he even knows my middle initial!  We
*gotta* vote for him now.  Oh, and have a 20?"  However, the package was worth
every penny Dubbya spent -- I sorely needed the laugh.
Julie Krueger
Not, I repeat *Not* a member of any sort of the Bush campaign in Missouri.