[lit-ideas] Re: one of Exit Ghost's political points

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:47:34 -0500

IC:
>>Disillusionment is just divesting one's self of illusions.

Well, yes, by definition, I guess.

>>Illusions in my opinion are built on sadness and anger.

Really?  I'd say they're mostly built on beliefs that have little or no
relationship to reality.  What the hell reality is, I have no idea.  But if
something doesn't work, it's probably not anchored in reality.  That's a
transcendental truth, just ask Walter.

>>Maturity in my opinion is the unencumbered but appropriate flow of emotions.

I really and truly don't know what this means.

>>As far as seeing humanity for what it is, well, humanity is what it is.  You
>>tell me what it is, Mike.

That's what novelists do.  That's what Bellows does.  That's what I'm trying to
do even better than Bellows.  Humanity is whatever humans want, need, love,
suffer, crave, think, believe, feel, do, etc.

>>I can't think of an author that I particularly like.

That's very sad.

>>No doubt you came to praise Cesar, not to bury him...

Huh?

>>It's Halloween, Mike.  I'm going as a very mature person.  I haven't picked
>>out a costume yet.  Maybe Saul Bellows with a squirting flower in the lapel.
>>What are you going as?  I know.  You can go as a cook.  You can make "Reeses
>>Pieces" minus the Reeses.  And the Pieces.  Actually, it's peanut butter,
>>Splenda and a teaspoon or so of Hershey's unflavored cocoa powder, and a
>>little fat free half and half to moisten  (in the sink, it can make a mess,
>>at least the first time).  I'll bet that's Robert Paul's favorite Halloween
>>tradition... <<

Huh?

Whatever.

My point was that I find Bellows just as interesting as when I first read him,
actually much more so,  but I don't understand why I found so interesting those
passages that I evidently did on my original reading -- that is, those passages
I underlined.  Were I still an underliner of novels, I would have underlined
many different passages, not those I did originally -- except of course for the
final one that I reported on, it still fascinates me.

Mike Geary
Memphis