[lit-ideas] Re: one little victory

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:39:18 +0000

Wednesday, November 9, 2005, 6:11:19 PM, david ritchie wrote:

>> It's all jolly boring, isn't it? jolly easy to make fun of? unless
>> you're a put-upon student or (obviously far worse) a wrongly
>> imprisoned terror suspect.  Then it matters.

dr> I did not convey my point.  I don't think issues before Faculty
dr> Councils are boring or not worth fighting for.  What irks me is the
dr> tendency to give away the farm and still call it a victory.

when you posted, they hadn't -- according to the web page I read -- given
away (any part of) the farm.  I read that they have now, by a majority
of 33, voted for 28 days.  There has still been "one little victory".

dr>  I
dr> understand that politics is the art of the possible, but imagine for
dr> a moment that Blair had proposed detaining people for twenty eight
dr> days without charge.  Would people have said, "Seems o.k. to me," or
dr> would they have decided that a similar two thirds reduction to seven
dr> days was the new standard of victory?

Given that the current term is 14 days, they would either have
accepted the 28 days or gone for some interim period.  I really don't
know which would have happened.

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx