[lit-ideas] Re: on the home front

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:33:59 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 12/8/08, Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Variant 1: We're all the same in different ways.

Isn't (part of) the problem that the way we are "the same" cannot be the way we
are "different", unless we render the claim vacuous by saying because we are
_all_ different this shared characteristic of being "different" is the respect
in which we are the same?

> Variant 2:  We're all different in the same
> way.

Equally, isn't (part of) the problem that the way we are "different" cannot be
the way we are "the same", unless we render the claim vacuous by saying because
we are "_all_ different" this shared characteristic of being "different" is the
respect in which we are the same?

>Variant 1 says we're all a bunch of dough but
> our shape depends on what pasta machine is used.
> Variant 2 says we're all the same pasta but the filling
> is different.  Yes, now it's crystal clear.  I'll
> bet even Professor Paul would agree.

The logic of this pasta me by.

Donal