[lit-ideas] Re: off vacation mode

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:29:35 -0800

on 3/17/05 6:48 PM, Robert Paul at robert.paul@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Mike Geary wrote:
>
>> Have a Guinness and let it go.  "Ireland is an old sow that eats her
>> children."
>
> Farrow, man, farrow. Ireland is the old sow that eats her farrow. I've
> skipped the Guinness and gone straight for the John Jameson. The streets
> of downtown Beaverton are awash in green beer. The pipes, the pipes, are
> playing.
>
> Robert Paul
> Nowhere near Beaverton

No, no, you're thinking of the Skidmore fountain through which, on the day
of its inauguration, the generous Mr. Henry Weinhardt offered to run free
beer.  Given that the pipes are all copper, if Portland's worthies had not
been so stuffy and balky, we might have seen all the green beer a person
could ever desire.

If you are hearing pipes on the westside, that'll be Clan Macleay
practising.  Or Mayor Drake in a bad mood again.

David Ritchie
near Beaverton, but still free from Mayoral land-grabs