[lit-ideas] Re: not as much about what you know but when (n d cusa)

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:22:53 -0230

Some philosophy simply articulates common knowledge. Think of the 1st 2 books
of
Kant's *Groundwork*.  Such accounts are typically a tad more complex than the
understanding or knowledge they attempt to explain,  of course. I believe we
have survived for a couple of millions years  because much of what we know is
"present" to us in a dispositional sense. The idea that JTB is what "k-that"
means is an example of a theory that successfully explicates its "object
domain" as the cog scie people at MIT like to say.. As Kant wrote in a
different context, if you disagree you are the victim of reading too many
philosophers who are indoctrinated by weird theories and just have too much
free time on their hands

I think this is what Bertie was on about when he said: "The point of philosophy
is to start with something so simple as to seem not worth stating, and to end
with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it."

But of course another kind of contribution is to explicate the meaning of
things
that seem totally unclear to the indoctrinated due to an absence of requisite
experience.  As for example the phrase "knowing me knowing you." Here one
requires not linguistic philosophy to parse it right but the experience of
being in love with somebody. As I am on vacation, I am sure I will be spared
from giving that analysis. (It takes a bit of Habermasian reflexivity,
reciprocity and symmetry. Mirrors-upon-mirrors, but no smoke. Some Vulcan
mind-reading may also prove helpful.)