[lit-ideas] Re: not as much about what you know but when (n d cusa)

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:35:13 +0600

Walter O. wrote:

"Some philosophy simply articulates common knowledge."

But, to say that some philosophy 'simply articulates' is to belie the
extent to which any attempt to theorize understanding is to give a
shape or form that was not there before. As Kant puts it, reason
schematizes understanding in order to produce ideas of reason, which
are therefore necessarily steps further removed from the validity
given by experience. 'Knowing me, knowing you' is an experience many
of us are familiar with, but it isn't clear to me how a theory of JTB
is a familiar experience to anyone.

This is not a criticism of JTB but of claims that philosophy can
somehow clear up or clarify experience and understanding. So many
philosophers are not content with being members of the lower
faculties, but aspire to the higher.

Sincerely,

Phil