[lit-ideas]

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 15:46:54 -0500

Walter writes:

"This is all quite irrational, Skipper. I'm very glad you're not servicing
my
fridge or air conditioner."

Thank you, Walter. I do identify as an absurdist. But, of course, that
doesn't mean that I have no values even if ultimately I accept them all as
fictions of my own invention.

As to the likelihood of my servicing your fridge or AC, you can relax. I'm
retired now, but for 40 odd years I did just that, but never residential,
only commercial AC and refrigeration and heat and commercial cooking
equipment. Most of my customers were restaurants and refrigerated
warehouses. After having taught high school English for 5 years, I decided
that rather kill myself, I teach myself a -- and what could be more
demanded in the South than air conditioning? Nothing. So I got books from
the library and voila! before the year was out I had passed the National
exams and became a proud holder of a State of Tennessee Master
Refrigeration License to hang on the wall. Yay, me! We're a proud lot, us
refrigeration license holders. HVAC/R men we call ourselves. And
apparently I was good at it. Never any complaints that I heard. I knew
nothing of mechanical equipment until throwing myself into learning this
trade. I like the fact that machines have no choice about anything. They
behave as they must. It was my job to find the must in sick machines. I,
on the otherhand, always had assumed that I had "free will". But you know
how all that plays out. Still it's fun to engage people who challenge your
religion. Machines never do.

Mike Geary
HVAC/R