(no subject)

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:54:34 -0500 (EST)

what a load

"last night i deramed of my mother and tomorrow I'll dream of my father. I'll make good subject for psychoanalysis"

what is that blocks this sentence?

the claims are claism ro exercise in obfuscation. to you the choice.

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

As R. Paul notes, it is possible to conceive a similar argument to Norman
Malcolm's Dreaming on dying.

The source would be Hamlet's suggestion:

       to die: to sleep, perchance to  _dream_.

Malcolm, a disciple of Witters, was intrigued by Witters's remark,

       "Death is not part of  life".

"But dreaming is!", he objected. In fact, R. E. M. is a proof that Hamlet
was exaggerating: to die is like _to dream_ but while we dream we are alive
(and  move the eyes -- dogs too).

Now, 'dream' cannot be used in the future,

     "Tomorrow I will dream of my mother".

It is a non-performative in the future. In the past it is a performative,
"I dreamed that p" (I dreamed that the cat is on the mat).

This representational character of 'dreaming' ("that the cat is on the
mat") is absent, curiously, in the use of the verb 'to die'. "To die that the
cat is on the mat" is hyperbolic. One may _die_ *for* a cup of tea (but not
that  he longs fatally for a cup of tea).

The use of 'contextual clues' is important in the pragmatics of dying.
Consider Rupert Brooke,

   "If I should die, think only this of me,
          that there is  forever England"

--- Surely most humans _do_ die. Rupert Brooke, granted, was idolised by
his followers, and perhaps he thought he would be 'timeless' or eternal --
but  he wasn't. He was beaten by a mosquito in Italy and died. (Or Greece, or
Turkey).

---- So, the 'explicature' would be:

       If I SHOULD DIE before too  long,
           think  only this of me:
          that there is  forever England.

But NOT otherrwise. I.e. should he NOT die, England is not forever. To
think that some Brits take R. Brooke as a patriotic poet irritates me.

-----

In "Personal Identity", Grice considers:

  "I was hit by a ball"

"Surely it's best to understand the "I" in that type of sentences as "My
body"". In other uses, "I" stands for 'psycho-somatic unit' ("She is a bore
(to  listen to and to look at)"), sometimes only psychic ("I dreamed I dwelt
in  marble halls").

In the case of "die", the argument alla Malcolm combines the subtlety of
Grice's analysis of 'I' as a psychic event of mnemonic units.

  "If I (Rupert Brooke) should die
         before too  long,
       think only this of me,
      that there is forever England."

Etc.

J. L. Speranza, Bordighera

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Sull?orlo delle ciglia in oblìo
riproducimi il verso delle stelle
quando si vanno a scagliare
tra le ipotesi passate
di un presente privo di memorie.
Raccogli le mie penne
e gettale al fiume
ché non c?è seme di conoscenza
che non germini nel dolore.
Avanza l?autunno nel calpestìo delle foglie sul selciato
ed é un passo appena abbozzato
al calar della sera.

NATALIA CASTALDI