(no subject)

  • From: palma@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 08:18:49 -0500 (EST)

evidently the issue is not settled by any use.
if the question is a question of logical validity, why not rely on
logic?
if the issue is to be a question on the so-called semantics of natural
terms (how people use 'valid') certainly you make very valid
contributions to a hopeless cause

happy new year

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, John McCreery wrote:

> A Google search for "define: Valid" yields the following result.
> -----
>
> Definitions of *valid* on the Web:
>
>    - well grounded in logic or truth or having legal force; "a valid
>    inference"; "a valid argument"; "a valid contract"; "a valid license"
>    - still legally acceptable; "the license is still valid"
>
> wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=0&oi=define&q=http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%3Dvalid&usg=AFQjCNG8JbP6yppNRxqupqXtkvVmOpzUSw>
>
>    - In logic, the form of an argument is valid precisely if it cannot
>    lead from true premises to a false conclusion. An argument is said to be
>    valid if, in every model in which all premises are true, the conclusion is
>    true. ...
>    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valid
>
> <http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=2&oi=define&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valid&usg=AFQjCNE4N8cW_r3wrOtnL6DYuOx079Lbrg>
>
>    - Legally binding; authorized.
>
> www.titlecorockies.com/dictionary_v.htm<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=3&oi=define&q=http://www.titlecorockies.com/dictionary_v.htm&usg=AFQjCNE8kGs0VeC3KBMHhYpqacOw2dWkrg>
>
>    - Time at which the weather data was received. In the case of a
>    forecast, time at which the forecast applies.
>    www.intellicast.com/Help/Glossary.aspx
>
> <http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=4&oi=define&q=http://www.intellicast.com/Help/Glossary.aspx&usg=AFQjCNFiQOkTb_xRqJ3dVgJw4FOKlfP1rw>
>
>    - Of taxonomic names and epithets: Published in accordance with
>    several articles of the Code of Nomenclature; such names may be legitimate
>    or illegitimate. (22)
>
> www.plantpath.cornell.edu/glossary/Defs_V.htm<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=5&oi=define&q=http://www.plantpath.cornell.edu/glossary/Defs_V.htm&usg=AFQjCNHAHPhk5RT_lWFVKpBk57eF1fJ5fw>
>
>    - Certificate of Insurance valid
>
> apps01.metrokc.gov/www6/ddes/scripts/perminfo.cfm<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=6&oi=define&q=http://apps01.metrokc.gov/www6/ddes/scripts/perminfo.cfm%3Frpt%3D2&usg=AFQjCNFAmZyqNC3hkOZT5SuFikbuU-Xy4w>
>
>    - An XML document that is verified correct against a DTD or schema.
>    Create a Valid XML Document valid glossary entry
>
> webdesign.about.com/library/weekly/aa070102a.htm<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=7&oi=define&q=http://webdesign.about.com/library/weekly/aa070102a.htm&usg=AFQjCNFDBjCV2_z4O6aEgF9q55lrYPPOGA>
>
>    - Based on proper procedures, a valid approach will lead to the
>    correct solution of a problem.
>    www.numbernut.com/glossary/v.shtml
>
> <http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=8&oi=define&q=http://www.numbernut.com/glossary/v.shtml&usg=AFQjCNH9HyMzcd4PUzbi_A6Iw13OEBdBkw>
>
>    - Produces or relates to the intended results or goal.
>
> www.nmlites.org/standards/language/glossary.html<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=9&oi=define&q=http://www.nmlites.org/standards/language/glossary.html&usg=AFQjCNE2C2f3Pr2FsYJ3v20egWX4JcU6mQ>

> [...]

off address: #201 West Building, Philosophy, Duke University
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: [1] 9196881856
cellph#: [1[] 9195997065 (voicemail is available on said numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxx