[lit-ideas] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:41:01 -0800

cool.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <palma@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "joerg benesch" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "Donal McEvoy" <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>; <jls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>; "joerg benesch" <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>; "John Wager" <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>; "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>; "Ursula Stange" <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>; <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 11:23 AM
Subject: (no subject)

Dear Andreas, thank for the reminder and warning with regards to the
number of postings I had sent.
I shall refrain from posting as a safety measure. Maybe I shall
concentra anything I mught have to say in once-ina-fortngiht single
message, assuming I will ahvethet ime to track and keep track of the
posyings that appear interesting and worth commenting on
Cheers,
palma apg

On Wed, 21 Nov

From: <palma@xxxxxxxx>

> Now I am honestly losing track.
> What is the point here? That "might makes it right"? That if one-two-n
> people believe firmly, fervidly imagine, take for certain that X, then
> X?

Yes, that sums it up: Might makes right. The majority determines reality.

> That is at best a shoddy piece of reasoning.

No, it's broken. It's not reasoning at all. But it's reality.

To say "that's illogical" or "it doesn't compute" is to withdraw. That won't
convert them.

> My preferred example is the vast majority of Germans who fervidly
> believed that the Slavs were vermin to be exterminated. They changed
> their mind in Stalingrad in this very days of winter of 1942.

"Battlefield conversion" isn't sufficient. True believers die for wrong
beliefs. Just look at suicide bombers.

This isn't a theorectical or philosophical issue for me. I have to deal
daily with people who don't understand complex processes. They are not dumb
or average intelligence. They are smart people who are successful in the
business world. But everyone isn't bright at everything; there are many
things that I'm lousy at.

So I have to explain the process. Put it up on a white board. Walk them
through it with simple examples. Correct the numbers (and they nearly always mix up the numbers, which is why I pointed out that one can indeed imagine
2,222 + 2,222 = 5,444; I see this nearly daily). When they grasp the
examples, then we move on to actual cases, using their company's numbers.
This generally works.

(Not all of them get it. I'd say about 95% figure it out. But occassionally,
a few simply don't get it. They stick to their ideas. As we say in Calif:
whatever. Move on. There's plenty of others who will get it.)

Palma was right: motivation (not logic) is key. Business people want a few
bright and shiny things: get more sales (they get a bonus), beat the
competition (that's quite fun), grow the business (the wife and kids will be happy; the employees will be happy) and so on. Business isn't complex like
academia.

They don't really care that 2+2=4 because it is logical. They care only if I
can show them that it grows sales. If it doesn't "impact the bottom line"
(as they say), then it's irrelevant. If one could show that astrology works,
they'd use it.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not being snobbish about this. I find it
fascinating. Just as engineering or chemistry is the hands-on effort to
understand and manipulate the physical world, business is a practical effort
to manipulate a wildly complex situation. It's very satisfying and
challenging to come up with solutions that actually work.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

off address: #201 West Building, Philosophy, Duke University
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: [1] 9196881856
cellph#: [1[] 9195997065 (voicemail is available on said numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxx