(no subject)

  • From: palma@xxxxxxxx
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:23:18 -0500 (EST)

Dear Andreas, thank for the reminder and warning with regards to the
number of postings I had sent.
I shall refrain from posting as a safety measure. Maybe I shall
concentra anything I mught have to say in once-ina-fortngiht single
message, assuming I will ahvethet ime to track and keep track of the
posyings that appear interesting and worth commenting on
Cheers,
palma apg

On Wed, 21 Nov
2007, Andreas Ramos wrote:

> From: <palma@xxxxxxxx>
>
> > Now I am honestly losing track.
> > What is the point here? That "might makes it right"? That if one-two-n
> > people believe firmly, fervidly imagine, take for certain that X, then
> > X?
>
> Yes, that sums it up: Might makes right. The majority determines reality.
>
> > That is at best a shoddy piece of reasoning.
>
> No, it's broken. It's not reasoning at all. But it's reality.
>
> To say "that's illogical" or "it doesn't compute" is to withdraw. That won't
> convert them.
>
> > My preferred example is the vast majority of Germans who fervidly
> > believed that the Slavs were vermin to be exterminated. They changed
> > their mind in Stalingrad in this very days of winter of 1942.
>
> "Battlefield conversion" isn't sufficient. True believers die for wrong
> beliefs. Just look at suicide bombers.
>
> This isn't a theorectical or philosophical issue for me. I have to deal
> daily with people who don't understand complex processes. They are not dumb
> or average intelligence. They are smart people who are successful in the
> business world. But everyone isn't bright at everything; there are many
> things that I'm lousy at.
>
> So I have to explain the process. Put it up on a white board. Walk them
> through it with simple examples. Correct the numbers (and they nearly always
> mix up the numbers, which is why I pointed out that one can indeed imagine
> 2,222 + 2,222 = 5,444; I see this nearly daily). When they grasp the
> examples, then we move on to actual cases, using their company's numbers.
> This generally works.
>
> (Not all of them get it. I'd say about 95% figure it out. But occassionally,
> a few simply don't get it. They stick to their ideas. As we say in Calif:
> whatever. Move on. There's plenty of others who will get it.)
>
> Palma was right: motivation (not logic) is key. Business people want a few
> bright and shiny things: get more sales (they get a bonus), beat the
> competition (that's quite fun), grow the business (the wife and kids will be
> happy; the employees will be happy) and so on. Business isn't complex like
> academia.
>
> They don't really care that 2+2=4 because it is logical. They care only if I
> can show them that it grows sales. If it doesn't "impact the bottom line"
> (as they say), then it's irrelevant. If one could show that astrology works,
> they'd use it.
>
> Don't get me wrong: I'm not being snobbish about this. I find it
> fascinating. Just as engineering or chemistry is the hands-on effort to
> understand and manipulate the physical world, business is a practical effort
> to manipulate a wildly complex situation. It's very satisfying and
> challenging to come up with solutions that actually work.
>
> yrs,
> andreas
> www.andreas.com

off address: #201 West Building, Philosophy, Duke University
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: [1] 9196881856
cellph#: [1[] 9195997065 (voicemail is available on said numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxx